Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Disaster Planning

Disaster preparedness is on my mind.

 Just completed CORE III, the city of Oakland fire departments training so that I will know what to do as a responder in the inevitable course of what we will experience here in the wake of an earthquake.

 Still thinking about what happened after Katrina, reading Breach of Faith by Jed Horne, subtitled the Near Death of a Great American City.

 Thinking about all of this now in light of our economic quake, with shock after shock of a magnitude not experienced before.  As a man made perfect storm, with it’s churning vortex of wind and water, its floodwaters breaking, sweeps away homes and jobs.

 Last night I listened to Obama addressing the congress in Washington DC: We love this country too much to see it die. Fearlessly he seeks to inspire. Even in the most trying of times we are not quitters. We are equal to the task before us.

For myself I prepare for the worst and vow to write every day. Because it is the only way I can restore that mounting deficit of trust I do not want to leave my children.

 I write even when I am exhausted from working because it is the only defense I have that will turn disaster into something that feels like labor, the kind that comes with contractions, birth pains that you must take breaths to get through, pains that have a purpose because you know something really wonderful is coming, something that will change your life forever.

 Swept into those creative energies we American’s are known for, I write,  determined to save this beautiful world of ours.  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment