Monday, February 9, 2009

safety net

I am thinking about safety nets
and their absence: what happens in my tight rope
walk  if I fall, every one depending on me
right now the only one with a job:
I am afraid  to look
down, so I keep taking one step after another
one day at a time, not  thinking
about it anymore than that, 
but history keeps knocking 
 with all the stories I was raised on: 
 daughter of  a Depression survivor
father who always feared the bottom falling out
even with all the benefits of world war II
the  GI bill and an education
even though he was one of the lucky ones
who never lost a job
retired with a pension
so far from where we've come
now, where what he feared most may be
true and he's   holding on 
 to everything that  he worked so hard to make 
so he won't become the 90 year old
who had to find a job as a greet in a grocery store
because he's already lost so much 
all while I am  standing there, swaying
 in the middle of the rope
the worst place to be 
making a budget
 as if I am already living on food
stamps, trying to figure out
how to buy nothing
so we can pay the next installment
of my daughter's college tuition
and dreaming about the benefits of being at the  bottom 
where there is already a safety net:
 jealous of  those benefits 
of a  handicapped friend who lives
in a subsidized housing unit 
on SSI,  jealous of government subsidy programs
and those who get the full cost of their kids 
college costs covered: how crazy is that:
because if I lose my job, lose my pension, 
lose my health insurance, lose my house
how far would I fall?
that's what it comes to, with all this talk
about how much worse things  can get
yet still, I take the swaying steps 
forward, grateful to work.




No comments:

Post a Comment